GPMA Editor team
March 24, 2021
Shanghai- Last Friday (Feb 26) witnessed the successful conclusion of the webinar “Optimization and Sustainability of the Corrugated Cardboard Industry in 2021”. Jointly organized by SinoCorrugated and Cámara Argentina de Fabricantes de Cartón Corrugado (CAFCCo), the webinar was joined by over 50 industry insiders, where they discussed how the corrugated industry especially the South American market to revive and thrive in the post-COVID world.
Mr. Mariano Saludjian, General Secretary of CAFCCo kicked off the discussion with an analysis of the South American Corrugated Market in recent years.
Data from ICCA, ABPO, RISI show that:
- South American companies take up 6% of the global corrugated market;
- Argentina and Brazil rank the 7th and 8th in per capita consumption of corrugated paper, with the number of 39 sqm and 35 sqm;
- The top 3 South American Countries with the highest GDP per capita are Chile, Argentina and Brazil. Chile and Argentina, with smaller populations than Brazil, have faster GDP growth;
- Brazil produces over 50% of the corrugated box in South America. Argentina comes second, taking up 12% of production;
- In 2020, main buyers of packaging products were fresh produce manufacturers, while other factories consumed relatively less.
Slides in the webinar are shown below: